If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 428-5467

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Sparks Electrical Fires in the Home? | SERVPRO of Marietta West

6/22/2022 (Permalink)

Fire in an outlet If you are dealing with the aftermath of an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Marietta West has the equipment to restore the damage.

Electrical fires are a leading cause of home fires, with some 46,700 fires sparking between 2015 and 2019 from electrical malfunctions. There are numerous offenders around the house that are responsible for these types of fires, including light fixtures and appliance usage. 

In 2022, Georgia has already experienced 25 fire-related fatalities. Because electrical fires are a leading cause of home fire deaths, understanding what ignites electrical fires is critical. Taking action in your Marietta home is the first step toward preventing electrical fires. 

Common Causes of Electrical Fires 

The first step toward preventing electrical fires is understanding where they are most likely to occur in the home. Be aware of these potential hazards: 

Extension cords. Extension cords are a major cause of electrical fires in the house, causing around 3,300 fires each year. Overheating is caused by power cords that are overloaded with too many appliances or high-wattage equipment. 

Avoid overloading extension cords; you can check their capacity by looking at the connected tag or its packaging. Cords should never run under blankets or rugs because they can overheat and ignite a fire. 

Faulty wiring and outlets. Faulty outlets are a major problem in the home. Fires can be caused by outdated wires within outlets and loose wiring. Aging cables may be unable to handle newer gadgets such as laptops and televisions, resulting in overloading and the start of electrical fires. 

Check around the house for any loose outlets and replace them as soon as possible. Look for smoke or burn marks around your outlets to identify any aged wires. A burning odor near your outlets is also an indication of aged wiring and should be repaired promptly. 

Light fixtures. Half of all electrical fires in the house are started by items such as light bulbs and lamps. Light bulbs can ignite fires in enclosed fixtures making it hard for heat to escape. The bulb can overheat and melt inside the socket, resulting in a fire. 

Installing excessively high wattage bulbs in lamps might also result in flames. To prevent light fixture fires, unplug lamps when you’re done using them. To avoid overheating, check your appliances to see what wattage your light fixtures can tolerate. 

If you are dealing with the aftermath of an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Marietta West  has the equipment to restore the damage.

Call (770) 428-5467 or Contact SERVPRO if your home requires restoration!

Other News

View Recent Posts